Changing legal documents

Individuals can apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate if they want their acquired gender to be legally recognised in the UK – though many trans people choose not to apply as the process can be quite lengthy.

Currently in the UK, the law says that everyone is either legally male or legally female and that this is determined by what it says on your birth certificate. This means that for certain things that are controlled by law (such as pensions, marriage and prisons,) individuals may be treated as the gender on their birth certificate regardless of their gender identity and regardless of whether they hold other documents in their acquired gender.

Currently only male and female are recognised as legal genders in the UK – non-binary individuals are not legally recognised.

Individuals can only obtain a new birth certificate once they have received their Gender Recognition Certificate.

Individuals can apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate if all the following are true:

  • They are 18 or over
  • They have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria (discomfort with their birth gender) - this is also called gender identity disorder, gender incongruence or transsexualism
  • They have lived in their acquired gender for at least 2 years
  • They intend to live in their acquired gender for the rest of their life

See Government guidance for more information and an alternative application route.

Click here to access further information on applying for a Gender Recognition Certificate

It is possible to change documents WITHOUT a Gender Recognition Certificate


Obtaining a new passport or amending an existing passport

  • Passport form
  • Passport sized photograph
  • Original change of name document (not a copy)
  • Doctor's letter stating change of gender*
  • Original birth certificate if this is your first passport 

*The doctor's letter must contain specific language - it must say that the change of gender is 'permanent'.  Gendered Intelligence have provided a useful template detailed below.

Complete the application for a new passport and send this with a copy of the health professional's letter and a copy of the Statutory Declaration or deed poll.

Individuals must also send their old passport back if they have one. If they have not held a passport before, then they must also send their original birth certificate to the passport office.

If the individual is 16 or over, this can be done without parental consent.

If the individual is under 16, their parents will need to sign the letter. However, there is no minimum age restriction on when a person can change the gender on their passport if they have the appropriate documentation.

This is a template letter for your doctor to write. This can be a GP or a gender specialist. You do not have to have started medical transition to receive this letter. It should be on headed paper with the name and address of the person who is writing it.

Medical Reference No. xxxxxxxxxxxxx Date.

To whom it may concern,

This is to confirm that my patient [Full Name] has been diagnosed as having gender dysphoria and is currently undergoing gender reassignment. This change is to be permanent. As part of this process they have changed their name by Statutory Declaration from [old Full Name] to [Full Name].

Your assistance in making the relevant changes to your records and in preserving full confidentiality would be appreciated.

Doctor, GP or Consultants signature


driving licence

Changing the name or gender on a driving licence

Form D1 ‘Application for a driving licence’ for a car or motorbike licence

Form D2 ‘Application for a lorry/bus licence’ for a lorry or bus licence

Available from the post office or online.

Provide one of the following documents with your application:

a deedpoll

a statutory declaration *

gender recognition certificate

*You can get an official statement confirming that you’ve changed name or gender (called a ‘statutory declaration’) from:

a solicitor

a magistrate

a commissioner of oaths

To change the photo at the same time, send:

a recent passport-style photo

a cheque or postal order for £17, payable to DVLA (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)

Proud Parent group member 2019:

 “My child changed their driving licence (photo ID) - this was very easy to do and did not cost anything. The deed poll was used to change their name with the GP, however, this is still not always so straightforward in terms of how they and other medical agencies address them or refer to them.”


Please be assured, whatever you are feeling right now is ok and there is plenty of support available to help you through this journey.  

Please do get in touch if you’d like to speak to our qualified parent worker for information, advice and guidance: Nicki Ryan 07884 425408 |

Copyright © Free2B-Alliance Community Interest Company | Registered Company number 9718981